Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Q: How do I preserve embedded artwork when converting? (Read 10845 times) previous topic - next topic

Q: How do I preserve embedded artwork when converting?

It seems to me that embedded artwork is lost under conversion (at least with my settings, using fb2k 1.1.7, FLAC to FLAC).

1) Is there a way to
- make fb2k copy this?
or
- bulk transfer afterwards, either using fb2k or some other useful tool?

2) Are there other metadata which are lost upon conversion?  (Except of course codec info etc.)

Reply #1
it's not currently possible to preserve embedded album art when converting. AFAIK nothing else is lost but you'd probably be better waiting for a more authoritative answer on that.

as for workarounds, you could use mp3tag to extract the album art into the containing folder (you should be able to do this as a batch job). then when converting, foobar will copy this art into the destination folder structure (make you check the option in the converter). then you can use mp3tag (or even foobar itself) to batch embed all this art back into the new files.

edit: if you're willing to hand over $$$ then dbpoweramp will convert and retain embedded art.

Reply #2
Nothing is "lost"--as the original files aren't destroyed.

As far as what else might not get transfered to the new files: any user stored textual data within the file's tags would be transfered, textual information written by the encoder (in the file headers, typically) would of course not be transfered, as new info would be written by the new encoder (this information is accessed in fb2k using the $info() command).
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #3
Thanks to both of you. It seems to me that dBpoweramp batch converter does not support drag+drop, but mp3tag does.

So it seems that I can
- gather all in playlist_1
- convert all
- gather all converted ones in playlist_2
- drag playlist_1 to mp3tag
- Ctrl-a, Ctrl-c
- drag playlist_2 to mp3tag
- Ctrl-a, Ctrl-v

... if I dare.

Alternatively, copy with fb2k file operations to a separate location, and choose this for dBpoweramp.

Reply #4
it's not currently possible to preserve embedded album art when converting.

Does anybody know if it is planned for future versions?
Other converters I use (which all use LAME) like dbPowerAmp and MediaMonkey all keep the cover art when converting from FLAC to mp3.
But I'd prefer to use foobar for this...

Reply #5
--> Wishlist!

Should not be too hard, after album art manipulation was introduced in the current version 1.1.7.

(Since my purpose was reflac-ing old flac files (basically, I was tired of scrolling the General window past six reference libFLAC 1.* entries in order to see what tools were used for the few mp3s ...), it seems I could use flac.exe --force. Won't help conversion to other formats, I suppose ...)

Reply #6
2) Are there other metadata which are lost upon conversion?  (Except of course codec info etc.)

AFAIK, the lyrics are lost too.

Also to my wishlist: that all metadata be copied when converting.

Reply #7
Is it possible to make a script for this purpose?

Reply #8
I have my album art stored outisde of my FLAC CD image rips in a separate folder structure (e.g. ../Albumart/%album artist%/%album%/FrontCover.jpg etc.). It would be a great feature to have Foobar2000 grab that external artwork, maybe even with the possibility to downsize to a desired resolution (my artwork generally has high resolution), and then embed it to mp3s during conversion.

Reply #9
Perhaps once foobar2000 receives the basic feature of maintaining embedded art, we can then suggest things such as automatically embedding from an external file or even resizing; but at the moment, the request seems premature and more than a little off-topic.

Reply #10
I have my album art stored outisde of my FLAC CD image rips in a separate folder structure (e.g. ../Albumart/%album artist%/%album%/FrontCover.jpg etc.). It would be a great feature to have Foobar2000 grab that external artwork, maybe even with the possibility to downsize to a desired resolution (my artwork generally has high resolution), and then embed it to mp3s during conversion.

Although I haven't tried this myself, I am reasonably sure that you can do this right now using MP3Tag.

I guess you will have to define a new 'Action' and run it on all your files at once.

Reply #11
Perhaps once foobar2000 receives the basic feature of maintaining embedded art, we can then suggest things such as automatically embedding from an external file or even resizing; but at the moment, the request seems premature and more than a little off-topic.

If this is too premature, would it be posible to add an option to run a third party tool on destination files after conversion is finished? That way we could just use a command line tagger like metamp3 or neroaactag to embed the album art overcoming this foobar limitation for the time being.

Reply #12
Sorry to bump an old topic, but I have been searching and not coming up with results. Has this changed? Any way to resize album art when converting with foobar?

Reply #13
^simple answer: no