Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 24bit Mono FLAC file - display problems (Read 2181 times) previous topic - next topic

24bit Mono FLAC file - display problems

My setup:
foobar2000 v1.1.10     • Columns UI (foo_ui_columns) v0.3.8.8     • Waveform seekbar (foo_wave_seekbar) v0.2.15

My problem:
I decided to conduct a review of my lossless 24bit audio file collection ,
so I populated my Playlist Viewer ("NG Playlist" from CUI) using an Autoplaylist query:    "$info(bitspersample)" EQUAL 24

I noticed an album with mono (1 channel) FLAC tracks which does not render these functions:
- No "Duration" info ; opening fb2k Properties I see no entry for "Duration" ; title-formatting pattern "%length_ex%" displays question mark "?" in playlist viewer.
- No "Bitrate" info; opening fb2k Properties I see no entry for "Bitrate" ; title-formatting pattern "%bitrate%" displays question mark "?" in playlist viewer.
- No "Waveform seekbar" render; it makes no difference which frontend is used.

It makes no difference which Playback Output Device is used ; i.e. Direct Sound ("DS : Realtek Audio output"), or Kernel Streaming ("KS : Realtek Audio output").
The file DOES play, but I'm scratching my head for answers to the above problems. If anybody here has some answers it would be really helpful.

--- EDIT ---

I conducted a test and I got some answers...

Using fobar2000 converter, I converted one of the problematic Mono 24bit FLAC tracks to WAV.
I dragged the WAV into a New Playlist and it works perfect; all mentioned problems are gone.
So, using this WAV file as source, I created various lossless compressed tracks, i.e. APE, WV, TAK, and a 'new' FLAC file.
I dragged all into a New Playlist ...all files give no problems ...except the FLAC file !

Therefore, I conclude that 24bit Mono FLAC files work with problems in foobar2000.
This revelation is surprising to me, and I'm surprised I didn't notice this a long time ago.
The encoding speed of the TAK conversion was fantastic, and I think I am going to give up on FLAC and switch to TAK for my lossless media needs.

Thankyou for reading.