Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: I lost almost all my playlists ! (Read 4334 times) previous topic - next topic

I lost almost all my playlists !

Hello
I am using foobar v0.9.4.3 since at least 3 years without troubles, except today : almost all my playlists are gone, without reason. dunno why.
I checked windows bin, there is no .fpl files. Also, my antivirus (avg) didn't move them to quarantine or delete them. So now I have only 7 playlists remaining, before I had like 80 or more.

In my folder playlists (C:\Documents and Settings\Druss\Application Data\foobar2000\playlists), I have :
00000001.fpl
00000002.fpl
00000003.fpl
00000004.fpl
00000005.fpl
00000006.fpl
00000007.fpl
index.dat

if I look this file with a text editor, I see my 7 currents playlists. the others seem deleted, except in database.fpl where I can find all my files.

oh btw, foobar didn't crash : everything was OK. my last failure_00000021.txt was made in 26/07/2011.

I can't attach my dtabase.fpl here, so I have put it on depositfiles, dunno if it can help :
http://depositfiles.com/files/67f3h2io2
(1.3 MBs)

thanks a lot if you can help me to get my playlists back !

Reply #1
thanks a lot if you can help me to get my playlists back !
There is no relation between your database.fpl and the playlist files. Either you restore the playlists from your backup (which you should have, if the playlists are important for you) or you have to recreate the playlists manually.

Reply #2
just in case you dont know it, right click the playlists folder and go to "previous versions" . There might be shadow copies of your folder files. (This is a windows feature of course)

Reply #3
And consider to use foo_jesus in the future.
It's only audiophile if it's inconvenient.

Reply #4
OP, using the automatic backup utility,foo_jesus a great idea. However, you will need to update you Foobar2000 version. Yours is quite outdated.

Reply #5
This sort of thing has been improved in the years since 0.9.4.3

Consider this your own fault for using old software.
elevatorladylevitateme

Reply #6
here is no relation between your database.fpl and the playlist files. Either you restore the playlists from your backup (which you should have, if the playlists are important for you) or you have to recreate the playlists manually.
ok. well, no backup. :-/

just in case you dont know it, right click the playlists folder and go to "previous versions" . There might be shadow copies of your folder files. (This is a windows feature of course)
hum, I don't see this option on my windows XP. guess my playlists are defenitely gone (dunno why, I have now only the playlists with brackets like that : []  )

And consider to use foo_jesus in the future.
ok thanks for information.

This sort of thing has been improved in the years since 0.9.4.3
Consider this your own fault for using old software.
I like this kind of stupid comment. and comming from a mod, gratz.
I asked for help, you blame : it helps greatly to progress in solving the problem.
anyway I know my version was out-of-date, but it was working since 3 years without troubles, so never seen the interest to change it. but now I will probably get the latest version and change my playlist system which wasn't very good (almost 1 playlist for 1 album).

well, I am still a bit confuse about this lost... if the playlists folder had been deleted or something like that, I could understand, but around 70 playlists who get deleted and 7 remaining is weird. :-o

Reply #7
change my playlist system which wasn't very good (almost 1 playlist for 1 album)

Have not a clue why you would be doing this.  One of the great strengths of Foobar2000 is all the library management / browsing that can be done with the various media library viewers including the default album list and facets, to mention two that work with the default user interface.

It is understandable to have many playlists when they are carefully crafted with very specific tracks in a specific order. On the other hand, it seems you are simply trying to manage your audio library via playlists. You really ought to rethink your workflow. All those playlist have got to be a bear to manage and present a visual gui mess.