IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

I want to recreate disc image/MusicBrainz ID from tracks, log, and CUE, [moved from FLAC as not format-specific]
gutted
post Jul 7 2012, 16:06
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 47050

I currently store the vast majority of my physical CDs in flight cases in the attic. It was only supposed to be temporary while I sorted out suitable shelving, but they've been there for about 2 years so far. The point is: they're not easily accessible right now.

However I've ripped all of them to FLAC, and probably about 60% - maybe more - have been ripped following [moderation: removed link to piracy site representing a violation of TOS #9] guidelines for 100% accurate rip (according to their log checker) and include full EAC logs plus CUE sheets. Is it possible to use this information to rebuild an image of each CD that I can then reliably use to get a discID with MusicBrainz Picard? I use a licenced copy of Alcohol, so wondering if I can build ISO files (or other image files) and then load them into Alcohol, and then generate discIDs (rather than getting all my CDs down, and inserting them disc by disc). I've asked a similar question over at the MusicBrainz forums and got some feedback, but wondering if there was a more definite way to go...

My main question, I guess, is this: if I could use FLAC+CUE+log to build an exact copy of my originals, would this be "safe" to generate discID? The whole point of discID (for me, at least) would be that there's zero ambiguity - so if there's even the slightest risk of generating a discID that would be different from the "the real thing" then it would be pointless...

Second question is because I'm lazy smile.gif Is it possible to automate creation of CD images? As in - could I point <some utility> at my music collection, then get it to spit out disc images that I could load into Alcohol?

It just saves me faffing around with all my CDs. Getting them down from the attic isn't the end of the world - but inserting them disc by disc to create discIDs just seems like a bit of a chore. There has to be an easier way for the more lazy collector...

Any thoughts?

This post has been edited by db1989: Jul 7 2012, 18:05
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
skamp
post Jul 7 2012, 16:36
Post #2

Group: Developer
Member No.: 13875

Programmatically (I don't know about Picard), it is possible to compute the DiscID from appropriately ripped FLACs alone, except when there's a pregap before track one (a short pregap of 33 frames or whatever is not uncommon). The pregap information should be available in the cue sheet though.

This post has been edited by skamp: Jul 7 2012, 16:42

--------------------
caudec.net
Go to the top of the page
+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th April 2014 - 23:04