Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MPC for PocketPC?! (Read 4637 times) previous topic - next topic

MPC for PocketPC?!

Is anyone working on a PocketPC version of a player that plays MPC files. I use my pocketpc for playing music but as I convert more and more of my stuff to MPC, I can't put it on my Ipaq without decoding and then re-encoding which is neither fun or results in good quality.

Is it possible to create a WMP8 plugin or a standalone app??

Can someone work on this?

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #1
Yeah, that would really be interesting -
I guess writing some kind of player for Windows CE would be easier than convincing the Hardware-Player Manufacturers to include MPC-Support in their players - I guess it isn´t just enough to recompile Frank´s decoder in some sort of "Windows CE SDK" ?

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #2
there is no command line so it has to be gui for pocket pc

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #3
Doesn't the Compaq iPaq use the Intel "StrongARM" CPU for it processor. If it does what sort of instruction set does it use? If it uses x86 code (I seriously doubt it though) but it would be easy to code a "quick and dirty" player like the 1by1 MP3 player.

But I am in for it cause I am thinking about getting a Compaq iPaq.

Cheers
AgentMil
-=MusePack... Living Audio Compression=-

Honda - The Power of Dreams

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #4
So... how are things working out?

NOT, I guess...

It's kind of odd that nobody have even tried to made, lets say, a plug-in for Pocket PC or Windows CE. Is it very difficult or just considered foolish to waste ones time on something like this?

Ack, portable hardware support of anything but MP3 is sorely lacking. AAC is here, but even OGG is more difficult to get implemented than one should think.

Ahh well, back to LAME and APS. [me quite happy with that BTW]

Regards, stoff

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #5
Just as an aside, you can get a Windows CE platform kit thingy from Microsoft's site, where you can run an emulated Windows CE environment.  Its free to download, so anyone here with Visual Studio who can be bothered could possibly check out porting MPC to CE.

Sorry for the bad wording, I'm tired!

Ruairi
rc55.com - nothing going on

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #6
There IS RealPlayer software for PocketPC, and supposedly it is modular (though it is also closed source, I assume?)  Anyway, there might be some way to make a plugin for RealPlayer for PocketPC, regardless of how much we hate Real, it would be a start.
WARNING:  Changing of advanced parameters might degrade sound quality.  Modify them only if you are expirienced in audio compression!

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #7
funny...I was thinking about buying an ipaq from a coworker to try and do this. Too bad he sold it; it was a good price.

The new ipaqs like this have that Intel 400Mhz Xscale processor so that should be more than enough processing power for MPC, right?
"Droplets of Yes and No, in an ocean of Maybe"

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #8
funny...I was thinking about buying an ipaq from a coworker to try and do this. Too bad he sold it; it was a good price.

The new ipaqs like this have that Intel 400Mhz Xscale processor so that should be more than enough processing power for MPC, right?

400MHz to decode MPC? overkill.

MPC needs LESS power to decode than MP3, 40 MHz or less should be enough.

MPC for PocketPC?!

Reply #9
I managed to get the MPC decoder semi up and running on an embedded ARM9TDMI core as an experiment (for the Korean GP32 hardware). It was quite happy at 66Mhz, and im sure it could go much, much lower. However, it just output white noise. My C coding is terrible anyway, i was hardly suprised, nevertheless, it would successfully load, initialise, retrieve the info, update its bitrate display, and hiss away without dropouts, and stop at the end of a track. Not bad for an evenings fun, i had to drop it and get on with working on my real projects instead. Plus, if it worked, it wouldn't be of use to WinCE users anyway, however, it can be done, at low CPU speeds on the ARM architecture, and in a short amount of time too.