Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: LameDrop (Read 7204 times) previous topic - next topic

LameDrop

I have slapped together a little frontend to the Lame command line encoder. It has all the settings from the reccomended list available. It basically works likeOggDrop (without the little animated fish ), if anyone is interested in testing it just e-mail me at [a href='mailto:layer3maniac@hotmail.com'][/a].

LameDrop

Reply #1
Howabout posting a binary somewhere?  Are the sources available?

LameDrop

Reply #2
I'm working on posting a binary somewhere. I haven't had a chance to test it on NT type OS's yet. I'm not sure the Registry functions will work on NT. After I get any bugs chased out, get the code cleaned up, and get a little more error handling, I will be happy to make the source available. BTW, I put a link to Project Mayhem in the about box. I hope that's ok.

LameDrop

Reply #4
Originally posted by layer3maniac
I'm working on posting a binary somewhere. I haven't had a chance to test it on NT type OS's yet.

OK.  I'm sure there are lots of people that can help test it

I'm not sure the Registry functions will work on NT.

Hrmm.. just a little personal preference, but does this have to rely on the registry?  When given a choice I much prefer programs which do not use registry values, but instead are self contained (perhaps they keep an .ini file or something).  The reasons are fairly obvious I suppose, mainly in that many programs do not fully remove registry values upon uninstall and it's annoying to have remnants of this left around in there when it's not necessary.

BTW, I put a link to Project Mayhem in the about box. I hope that's ok.

Yes, this is OK

LameDrop

Reply #5
Hrmm.. just a little personal preference, but does this have to rely on the registry?  When given a choice I much prefer programs which do not use registry values, but instead are self contained (perhaps they keep an .ini file or something).  The reasons are fairly obvious I suppose, mainly in that many programs do not fully remove registry values upon uninstall and it's annoying to have remnants of this left around in there when it's not necessary.
Yeah, I agree. I hate all the orphaned references in my Registry from apps I've discontinued using. The main reason I used the Registry is because OggDrop does. Unlike some programs I haven't left junk scattered all over the Registry, there's only one added Key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWARELAmeDrop
with a couple of values in it. I will include the exact key name and location in the readme file so people who want to can manually delete it. Eventually, I will either add an ini - registry option, or an uninstaller which definitly deletes the one added Key.

LameDrop

Reply #6
Also, John33 already found a bug in the naming routine of files with longer filenames. I fixed that and also added the Standard Fast and Extreme Fast  alt-presets as options. And I made it Stay On Top except when the console is open. I thought about making it an option, but since it's a drag n drop program with a small gui it probably should stay on top. If people find this annoying, I'll make it optional. I will send the new bug-fixed and feature-added version to Roberto this evening. Thanks everyone!

LameDrop

Reply #7
Thanks-this is sweet; a quick and dirty tool (which imho are the best kind)...

Is there any reason why it writes the .mp3 file to a folder one above the location of the source file? Or is this part of the aforementioned long filename bug?

LameDrop

Reply #8
OK, I fixed the filename problem, and fixed a couple of other bugs which were reported. I added what was by far the most requested feature, a stay on top option. I put an option to use lame in a different directory, and I added the fast standard and fast extreme presets. I put a couple of web links into the menu, and, most importantly, I put a graphic on it.  I've sent it to Roberto, so as soon as he gets the chance I'm sure he'll update his site. We sure keep him jumping! Thanks again for all the testing and ideas!

LameDrop

Reply #9
Already updated!

Regards;

Roberto.

LameDrop

Reply #10
Fast work; thanks for everything...

The program looks great; I will test it out presently...

LameDrop

Reply #11
I tried LameDrop out and it looks like it has a problem with periods, "."

I copied a few albums to my hard disk into different folders and then did a search for *.mp3 and dragged and dropped them on LameDrop. For the songs with a "." in their name, the song name was truncated there. For two albums, the coding was terminated after the first song. Perhaps because the first song contained a ".".
[span style=\'color:maroon\']remember sammy jankis[/span]

LameDrop

Reply #12
Nice little number, Layer3Maniac.....now any chance you could do the magic for mpc????

LameDrop

Reply #13
I experienced ther truncated filenames, but did not have problems with the encoding cutting out...

"Don't.Ease.Me.In.wav" turned into "Don't.mp3"
"I Know You Rider.(Scorpio Sessions).wav" turned into "I Know You Rider.mp3"
"Tastebud (instrumental).wav" turned into "Tastebud (instrumental).mp3"

The problem only seems to relate to .wav files with periods in the filename (the other long filename problems are gone)...

A drag 'n drop interface for the mppenc would be great...

Thanks for all of the hard work. lamedrop is sweet.

LameDrop

Reply #14
I experienced ther truncated filenames, but did not have problems with the encoding cutting out...

"Don't.Ease.Me.In.wav" turned into "Don't.mp3"
"I Know You Rider.(Scorpio Sessions).wav" turned into "I Know You Rider.mp3"
"Tastebud (instrumental).wav" turned into "Tastebud (instrumental).mp3"

The problem only seems to relate to .wav files with periods in the filename (the other long filename problems are gone)...

A drag 'n drop interface for the mppenc would be great...

Thanks for all of the hard work. lamedrop is sweet.
Yeah, I'm not very proficient at string handling. This problem stems from lame.exe adding ".wav." to the output file if you don't specify an output filename. I was using the period to locate the ".wav" in the filename and remove it. I've already fixed it.

I'm still going to have problems with extremely long filenames and paths because the Windows API apparently limits the size of an input string to console apps to 255 characters. So if the length of the input file and it's path exceeds 125 characters (depending on the amount of switches you use) then when you add in the output filename and it's path to the command you will exceed the 255 character limit and the result will be a truncated filename.

I have developed a procedure to feed just the input filename and it's path to the encoder, and then rename the resulting file without the".wav" but it just seems kind of kludgy. It would however approximately double the size limits of the input filename and it's path though. Anybody have any thoughts on this? At any rate I have fixed it so that periods in the filename will no longer be a problem either way.

Actually, I could very easily create a MuseDrop or even a PsyTELDrop. If I get the chance, I'll try to get something out in the next couple of days...  Thanks for all the feedback!

LameDrop

Reply #15
Originally posted by layer3maniac
Yeah, I'm not very proficient at string handling. [...]
I'm still going to have problems with extremely long filenames and paths
[...] if the length of the input file and it's path exceeds 125 characters (depending on the amount of switches you use) then [...] the result will be a truncated filename. [...] Actually, I could very easily create a MuseDrop or even a PsyTELDrop. If I get the chance, I'll try to get something out in the next couple of days...  Thanks for all the feedback!

I really appreciate your work! The LameDrop application looks really cool. I've seen that South Park show on TV. Until it's stable, though, I'll use the lame.vbs script. It works on any filename I've tried. Can you learn anything from it? It's in the 3.91 release from mitioks site.
[span style=\'color:maroon\']remember sammy jankis[/span]

LameDrop

Reply #16
I really appreciate your work! The LameDrop application looks really cool. I've seen that South Park show on TV. Until it's stable, though, I'll use the lame.vbs script. It works on any filename I've tried. Can you learn anything from it? It's in the 3.91 release from mitioks site.
Thanks for testing it and thanks for reporting the bugs. I stayed up all night to figure it out. IT will now accept ANY filename you can throw at it, whether it has spaces, periods, or is 400+ characters in length. I had a couple of requests to make it skinable, or at least to allow it to display custom pictures and icons (I'm already getting sick of looking at Cartman myself ) and to add decoding support. I'll implement these things tonight and by tomorrow night I should have a very stable version available. I guess it will be a release candidate just in case anyone can manage to break it somehow. I've also had some other interesting requests for features like saving custom switch commands and loading them into the menu dynamically, and giving the user a choice between using an ini file or the Registry, but I'll probably incorporate these features into the next version. Anyway, thanks again to everyone for their support, interest and help! And look for a solid stable release (candidate) tomorrow evening!

LameDrop

Reply #17
nice work!

whats this about you can make a Musedrop or something?

i think this would be a great idea!

oh yea and a .ini is definitely a good idea! (better than registry i think)

LameDrop

Reply #18
whats this about you can make a Musedrop or something? i think this would be a great idea!
Sure thing. Probably have it available by next weekend at the latest, maybe sooner.

LameDrop

Reply #19
OK, it's all fixed and ready. I've sent it to Roberto, hopefully he'll update his page. Or you can just e-mail me at:
[a href='mailto:layer3maniac@hotmail.com'][/a]
and I'll send it right out to you. It will now process ANY filename properly and I also added mp3 decoding support and the ability to change the graphic. Before I do any more work on it I'm going to start on MuseDrop.  Thanks again everyone!

LameDrop

Reply #20
Bug! Bug!
When you try to "Select New Image"
1 - If you don't select any picture and click "Cancel", an error message pops:
"Unknown Picture File Extension (.)"
And Cartman's pic disappears.
2 - If you select a picture and click Cancel, the same message pops, and cartman is replaced by the picture that was selected when you click Cancel.

Anyway, the file is already at my page. 

Regards;

Roberto.

Edit: Sw33t; It's the first ©2002 program I find...

LameDrop

Reply #21
Bug! Bug! 
Anyway, the file is already at my page.  
Bummer! Bummer!  Man, you're FAST!
OK, try the one I just sent you, see how it works.
Thanks!

LameDrop

Reply #22
The new file is already at my page  , and the bug seems gone.

Happy new year, everybody!

Roberto.