Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MusePack audible distortion (Read 9981 times) previous topic - next topic

MusePack audible distortion

Hey guys.

I was listening casually to my mpc collection when this particular song from the Smashing Pumpkins final album came up (Machina, the Machines of God). It's track 6, "Try, try, try." The artifact...well, two instances of one artifact, occur in the first 30 seconds, and involves the hi-hat and splash cymbals being played. The splash especially seems overly strident and distorted. Just not as clean as the wav. Using --xtreme, I informally AB'd the wav and the wav from mppdec16, and could fairly easily tell the difference between the two.

If someone has some webspace availible, I'll upload the clips. And if someone tells we where to find that ABX software, I'll test myself.  I think I've been lurking here long enough to know that claiming artifacts with no backup is mucho no-no.

Reply #3
I'll get right on it.

Reply #4
I'm curious if you normalized the wav file before encoding, or anything else to it?

Reply #5
I am similar to this song by SP...
This album is actually full of hisses and other engineered stuff...
Are you sure it's only on mpc and not in wav?

Reply #7
oh and by the way that cd just for some reason drives me nuts... not sure why

i love the pumpkins and all but this cd is really hard for me to listen to... not sure if its the lyrics or maybe all te over production with all the little effects and stuff

Reply #8
At first when i got that album, only a couple of songs were cool to me, but the more i listened, the more i've heard. All songs are so carefully executed, everytime i listened, i've heard something new... This album has kinda grown to my heart.

Reply #9
While we're talking Smashing Pumpkins, has anyone else downloaded the three EP's and Machina II? They are all 320 kbps MP3's, and freely released to the public. If anyone wants the link, just let me know!

Reply #10
Ooops. I went to sleep. Sorry about the long delay.

I got the mppdec from Franks' site, and it says v.90o, so I assumed it was the latest one.

Nope, I don't normalize my music. I tend to leave it as is.

It's not my favorite album of their's, but it has some tracks on it that make it worth it.

When I was casually listening to the song, the hi-hats and silibances just sounded...wrong. It reminded me of RC2 Ogg a little bit. Because it wasn't washy sounding like MP3, just ...not right. So when I listened to the track on the CD, I found that the difference wasn't so much the sound of the splash and hi-hat, but rather the cleanness of them. The splash IS bright, and the MPC gets that right. But the mpc leaves it less defined.

I'll hold off uploading until I know that mppdec16 (which I assumed meant 16bit precision) is an appropriate decompressor. Wouldn't want to upload something useless.

Reply #11
Dan, just upload the original wav sample.

Reply #12
Just get a ten or fifteen second sample from the original wav and LPAC it. You might want to check with ff123 before you try to upload it. I know he doesn't like to leave anonymous access open to his ftp server.

Reply #13
K. I'll upload in a minute or two. Let me cut the wav a little more.

Reply #14
I could log in, but there was no write access. Sorry about that, my fault.

Also, what directory should I put it in? pub?

Reply #15
Yeah, I had problems like that the first time I tried to send ff123 a sample. I ended up blowing it off and I still haven't heard the end of it.  You might try to private message him to see if his server is still open for anonymous access. I used the CuteFTP client.

Reply #16
There should be no "pub" directory if you logged in properly.  There should be an "incoming" directory, and you can put your file there.

Make sure you use the user id:  [a href='mailto:anonymous@ff123.net'][/a]

which includes the "@ff123.net" portion

It's not like normal anonymous ftp servers in that respect.

ff123

Reply #17
Weeee! It worked.
Sample is there.
SmashingSample.pac, that is.

Reply #18
Ok, I'll make the sample available in 4 or 5 hours (in the evening, my time).

ff123

BTW, I don't like to leave anonymous FTP open because I got burned once when I had a shell account with what used to be Netcom.  I left my account open one month to find that a prankster had left a surprise for me there in the form of a hydra-like monster which reproduced as fast as I could delete branches of it.  I think I was allocated an average of 5 MB of space per month, but this thing ate up almost 200 MB.  Netcom wanted to charge me something like $1500.00 for that month!  I had to hire a lawyer to make a phone call to them for me (because they refused to listen to reason when I called them), which cost me about $250.  After that, they made a one-time allowance for me, since I was a long-time account holder.  But I cancelled my account there shortly thereafter.  I still get Christmas cards from the lawyer after 5 years or so.

Reply #19
BTW, I don't like to leave anonymous FTP open because I got burned once
No doubt! Wouldn't be prudent. BTW, it is VERY considerate of you to provide this service!

Reply #20
BTW Dan, did you get a chance to abx it yet?

Reply #21
[Mouth hangs open] **** dude, no wonder you dislike doing that. I certainly wouldn't blame you! Yes, thanks very much for providing the service.

I'm going to ABX it after dinner. Mmm chicken strips.

Reply #22
Uh...so I tried the ABX program, and did some listening, and on trial 9, it greyed out the listening buttons, and only gave me the option of choosing one over the other...so uh...does that mean that I was doing very poorly, or did the program mess up?

If I started a new trial series, it started with the buttons greyed out. I could only resume normal operation if I exited and re-started.

Reply #23
No - that sounds like a bug to me. It should let you be as wrong as you want to be!

Reply #24
Originally posted by spase
oh and by the way that cd just for some reason drives me nuts... not sure why

i love the pumpkins and all but this cd is really hard for me to listen to... not sure if its the lyrics or maybe all te over production with all the little effects and stuff

Or maybe its just that Billy went psycho and thought he was talking to god