Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: MP3Gain GUI 0.7.4, back end 1.0.5 (Read 5604 times) previous topic - next topic

MP3Gain GUI 0.7.4, back end 1.0.5

GUI 0.7.4 Beta and back end 1.0.5 are now available: "Yes, I'm finally releasing the source for the back end. I'd been planning on cleaning it up, but I just don't have time and too many people have been asking for it. So I tossed in a few lousy comments and zipped the whole thing up. Have fun ripping it apart and mocking my lousy coding "
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #1
There was a problem in moving the files to the mirror site. The files at the mirror site aren't even really .zip files. We're clearing up the problem, and I'll update the site when everything's back to normal.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

-Glen

Reply #2
Should be now available.
Juha Laaksonheimo

Reply #3
Do you have a bot monitoring that site or something? Or do you always just happen to check it less than a minute after I change it?

Just curious about how popular I really am

Reply #4
I cannot download.
The mirror in Russia seems to be down, too ?

Have you enabled that "several albums/directories maximizing to independent maximums feature but not clipping" ?

Reply #5
I cannot download.
The mirror in Russia seems to be down, too ?

It seems to be working for me right now. I just re-downloaded the files from the main Essex mirror.

Have you enabled that "several albums/directories maximizing to independent maximums feature but not clipping" ?

Sorry, not yet. I haven't had as much time as I would like lately, so I had to prioritize: bug fixes first, enhancements second.

The main bug has been fixed, though, and the "group maximize each folder instead of the whole list" is the next enhancement...

-Glen

Reply #6
Nice, I really like this program.

however, I have one question, to how much should I set up the Target "normal" volume db gain? I use 95 db and it seems to work out fine, any advice?

thank you

Reply #7
Originally posted by Satanic-Vomit
Nice, I really like this program.

however, I have one question, to how much should I set up the Target "normal" volume db gain? I use 95 db and it seems to work out fine, any advice?

thank you

That will probably do. The reference level is 89dB, and most CD's that are 'out there' these
times are about 6dB too loud.

--
GCP

Reply #8
Originally posted by Garf

That will probably do. The reference level is 89dB, and most CD's that are 'out there' these
times are about 6dB too loud.

-- 
GCP

So the currect CDs on the market are roughly 6db too loud when compared to what? 89db?

I did a search before posting this and i did not find anywhere something with suggestions about the target "normal" volume optimal settings. I am concerned that with a setting too high I may distort the sound of my mp3s (i know mp3gain is not re-encoding them) simply by making them too loud for audio equipment. Seems to be that 89db is too low as some of my mp3 that I find too quiet are not considered so by mp3gain at 89db setting.

For example, I analyzed in mp3gain two of my heavy metal tracks that I encoded with lame (extreme with forced 128kbs). Mp3gain says under Radio analysis that they avg around 98db...  So puttiing the targeg value at 89db seems a bit low to me.

thx

Reply #9
So the currect CDs on the market are roughly 6db too loud when compared to what? 89db? 

The music is dynamically compressed to sound an additional 6dB louder. On some
commerical music this is as high as 12-15dB.

I'm wondering why you consider 89dB to be too quiet. Can't you just turn the volume up?

--
GCP

Reply #10
Originally posted by Garf

The music is dynamically compressed to sound an additional 6dB louder. On some 
commerical music this is as high as 12-15dB.

I'm wondering why you consider 89dB to be too quiet. Can't you just turn the volume up?

-- 
GCP

well, it seems quieter on my sound system than CDs, but then again, it might be because of my sound card settings. However, I would still like to know why is the value set to 89db in mp3gain?

thx

Reply #11
Originally posted by Satanic-Vomit

well, it seems quieter on my sound system than CDs, but then again, it might be because of my sound card settings. However, I would still like to know why is the value set to 89db in mp3gain?

It is quieter than CDs if you don't listen to classical or otherwise very dynamic music.
The 89 dB comes from replaygain proposal. Read more about it here.