Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Question about MP3 DEcoders (Read 2456 times) previous topic - next topic

Question about MP3 DEcoders

So, with all I've learned recently, I'm very happy with LAME as my encoder using the --alt-preset extreme settings.  I still don't understand why LAME stands for (LAME AINT AN MP3 ENCODER). Anyhow...

Now onto DEcoders...  Does it matter?  Are some better than others or do they all play to a set "standard" and it's all moot? 

Can/does the iPod sound better than a Creative Nomad because of the decoder?  Or is it the other electronics that make it better/worse and the MP3 decoding is equal?

Does WinAmp sound better than WMP or any of the other MP3 players for the PC?  If so, how does the player that ships within Helium 2 rank?

I just ordered Helium 2 BTW and I haven't gotten too deep into it, but it sure looks like the mother of all MP3 tools.

Thanks again...

Question about MP3 DEcoders

Reply #2
Thanks for the link...

So then, what about hardware decoders, like the ones in iPods and Nomads, etc.

I can't imagine that there are too many different brands...