Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: 128 kbps MP3s from MPCs (Read 2838 times) previous topic - next topic

128 kbps MP3s from MPCs

I’m finally convinced that MPC at standard quality is god enough for my archiving needs. However I have one remaining concern. In the future (when I have enough money for a CD/MP3 player), I plan to convert my MPCs to WAV then re-encode with lame to 128 kbps MP3s.

How would these MP3s sound compared to MP3s encoded straight from the CD?

128 kbps MP3s from MPCs

Reply #1
Obviously they won't be quite as good. However, since 128kbps MP3 isn't exactly a high quality format the degradation won't be very apparent. For instance, if a WAV is 100% quality and a WAV --> MP3 is 90% quality, then a MPC --> WAV --> MP3 is 87% quality (hypothetically).

Think sum of squares. When you transcode, you are introducing quantization noise twice. But since MPC standard is such high quality, its standard error is pretty small compared to a 128kbps MP3.

If you are wondering whether you should encode with MPC xtreme, I don't think that's necessary. If your 128kbps MP3s will be played on a portable player in environments less than conducive to high quality listening, then just the background noise will degrade the sound more than transcoding from MPC I think.

128 kbps MP3s from MPCs

Reply #2
I thought so. Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.