Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: Good sample to detect stereo collapse bug? (Read 6223 times) previous topic - next topic

Good sample to detect stereo collapse bug?

Hi folks,

What's a good sample for detecting FastEnc's stereo collapse bug? The reason I am asking: I found this little freeware tool called "WAV to MP3 Encoder" (from http://www.mthreedev.com) that uses FastEnc, and I suspect it may be affected by the evil bug. 41_30sec sounded funny even at 320kbps, but I want a sample that makes it 100% obvious.

(BTW, this software brakes all records, it comes with 3 spyware programs!!! Luckily, all of them can be disabled on installation )

CU

Dominic

Reply #1
You can use halfsweepinvert.wav, which I have on my site at:

http://ff123.net/samples.html

But you have to fire up Cool Edit and look at the resulting file.

I usually just use castanets to listen for it.

ff123

Reply #2
I checked it out and it definitely uses the buggy FastEnc.  It has intermediate bitrates (like 136, etc), so it must use FhG VBR as well (but with the stereo collapse bug).

I wonder how they can distribute that their executable without mentioning that they license it from FhG/Thompson?  And I didn't think that anybody besides MusicMatch was able to distribute for free, and that was only because Thompson owns a stake in MusicMatch.

ff123

Edit:  Hmm.  The VBR histogram looks weird, like they've somehow disabled the full range of bitrates.  For example, to get 184, they only allow the use of 160 and 192.  Interesting.

Reply #3
Illegal, maybe?

Reply #4
Well I guess the money the get for displaying advertisments with Gator/OfferCompanion (WebHancer) is used to pay for the codec. But it really is strange that they don't mention the license anywhere...

ff123, thanks for the - as usual helpful  - information.

CU

Dominic

Reply #5
Hi

Originally posted by ff123
Edit:  Hmm.  The VBR histogram looks weird, like they've somehow disabled the full range of bitrates.  For example, to get 184, they only allow the use of 160 and 192.  Interesting.

it looks like to be the constant rate coding:
"for constant rate transmissions, Layer3 supports switching of the bitrate_index between nearby values in the bitrate table. This feature is used for two different purposes:
1. Emulation of intermediate bitrates without using free format...
2. Asynchronous operation mode..."

(from MPEG-Layer3/Bitstream Syntax and Decoding; M.Sieler, R.Sperschneider, 1997)

Ciao Robert

Reply #6
YAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!!

This is from the README file of this "tool":
Alternately, you can create higher quality versions of your existing Mp3s by decoding them into Wav with MThree Development's Mp3 to Wav Decoder (available at http://www.mthreedev.com/) and then encoding them at a higher bitrate in the Encoder.

*LOL* *ROFL* :rofl:

CU

Dominic

Reply #7
LOL

Amazing...

Reply #8
wow... someone actually said that.... hehe:jawdrop: