Skip to main content

Notice

Please note that most of the software linked on this forum is likely to be safe to use. If you are unsure, feel free to ask in the relevant topics, or send a private message to an administrator or moderator. To help curb the problems of false positives, or in the event that you do find actual malware, you can contribute through the article linked here.
Topic: --vbr-new / --vbr-old (Read 5335 times) previous topic - next topic

--vbr-new / --vbr-old

Hi Everyone,
I'm just trying to find an audible difference between these two modes but as it seems, my ear is not well enough trained to hear it. Can someone explain the differences technically and (with their own words) for hearing ?
As far as I've seen the new one (mtrh) encodes a lot faster !
Also I'd like to know, which of the two vbr's the '--alt preset standard' setting uses.
sic transit gloria mundi...

--vbr-new / --vbr-old

Reply #1
The new vbr mode is a lot faster than the old one, but it is less accurate, and because of that it gives bigger bitrates (around 10-20kbps). Well I don't know any programming languages well (I just know a little of pascal and cpp), so I con't tell you about this on the technical side, but to me vbr new and mtrh is the same (at least in lame 3.90.2). The same encoding time, the same bitrate.

Maybe someone who knows the technical side of lame will answer your questins.

--vbr-new / --vbr-old

Reply #2
that vbr mode formerly known as --vbr-new was dropped and replaced by the newer --vbr-mtrh code. So both are the same now.
the newer vbr modes are not "less accurate", they just use a completely different approach compared to the old one.

Ciao Robert

--vbr-new / --vbr-old

Reply #3
Originally posted by cookie
Hi Everyone,
I'm just trying to find an audible difference between these two modes but as it seems, my ear is not well enough trained to hear it. Can someone explain the differences technically and (with their own words) for hearing ? 
As far as I've seen the new one (mtrh) encodes a lot faster !
Also I'd like to know, which of the two vbr's the '--alt preset standard' setting uses.

Surprise surprise!

"--alt-preset standard" uses --vbr-old
"--alt-preset fast standard" uses --vbr-mtrh

Isn't logic wonderful?

--vbr-new / --vbr-old

Reply #4
@robert: get more technical, plz, if you can.
@tangent: thanx. that was I was thinking.
sic transit gloria mundi...

--vbr-new / --vbr-old

Reply #5
--vbr-new did not distribute bits well and lead to poorer sounding files.  So it was cut out of lame and now calling --vbr-new results in mtrh being used.

LotionBoy